Sunday, May 1, 2011

Top 10 Reasons to Bike to Work During National Bicycle Month

It's National Bike Month, wherein we celebrate all things on two wheels. I kicked it off early yesterday by volunteering for a few hours with Bikes for the World, but now it's time to get serious about getting back onto my bike after a long winter of sluggishness. So, as part of my campaign to convince myself to commute by bike again, here are my Top 10 Reasons to Bike to Work:

10. Carbon offset!

9. It only takes 5-10 minutes longer than going by train, and I get a workout in at the same time.

8. It'll give me an excuse to buy those really cute riding knickers I saw in the Terry catalog.


7. The feeling of glory and smugness that comes with weaving in and out of standstill traffic in Georgetown.


6. The bleedin' escalators at the Dupont Metro station are seriously never working.


5. It's easier to stop off at Trader Joe's on the way home; have you
tried their Espresso Pillows?!?!

4. It gives me an excuse to maintain my one-a-day Green Tea Cake habit at
Yola, and if I can shave a few minutes off my time I'll totally have earned a daily dairy-free PB&J smoothie too.

3. Walking around in padded biking shorts/skirts is really good practice for the not-all-that-distant-future when I'll have to wear adult diapers every day.


2. Super hot looking calf muscles.


1. During the morning rush hour, somebody always farts on the Metro, usually when you're stuck for an indeterminate time between stations.

No comments:

Post a Comment